Adopt a cat
Before starting the process of adopting one of our cats, please take a few minutes to consider the following:
- You could be committing to your new cat for up to 20 years. Can you offer continued stability?
- Veterinary fees can be expensive. You should expect to visit the vets at least once a year for a health check and vaccination. Other preventative health care measures include de-fleaing (usually a monthly treatment) and de-worming (typically a three-monthly treatment); seek advice from your vet on frequency. Pet insurance will help with the cost of major illness and emergency treatment.
- You will need to make arrangements for your cat when you go on holiday, this may involve boarding cattery fees.
- Feeding a cat will cost you a minimum of £10 per week, plus the additional expense of other items such as a litter tray and litter, toys, bowls, bedding, and so on.
- If you get a long-haired cat, you will need to set time aside for grooming.
Before you can adopt a cat (or cats!), Cats Protection needs to do a home visit; see the home visit leaflet for more information. This is both to help us see if the cat(s) would be suitable for your home and lifestyle, and for you to chat to us and ask questions on any aspect of cat care. Once the visit has been completed, you will be able to bring your new feline friend(s) home!
All cats are microchipped, fully vaccinated, wormed and up to date with flea treatment; they also come with one month’s free insurance.
All inquiries for cats (either for taking in or offering a home) should be made directly to us; please see the contact us page for how to get in touch.
If you are contacting us to ask us to take a cat in, please be aware that there is a waiting list as we have a limited amount of foster space. If we have not been able to take the cat within two months, please ring us to confirm you still need the place; otherwise, the cat will be removed from the waiting list.
Some of the cats in our care may not yet be on our website. If you are looking for a feline companion, please contact us on 0345 494 1900